Sunday, January 27, 2013

Edmodo

I've begun trying to incorporate Edmodo into my classes this week as well. Edmodo is kind of like a Facebook, but for school. It can all be moderated by the teacher as to what kids can and do post. You can also post quizzes, polls, etc. I'm still learning many of the uses for Edmodo in the classroom, but the little I know about it so far seems as if there are bound to be hundreds or thousands of possible uses. 

So far I have my 6th graders using Edmodo. They just finished up a project of making a Google Presentation on Plate Tectonics. As they found helpful websites on Edmodo, I had them post those websites on a discussion post on Edmodo. That way they could help each other out and remember which sites to use themselves. If they had questions for sites to use they also posted those questions onto Edmodo and other students would respond with help. I also used Edmodo to inform them of a quiz they would be having the next day in Google Forms, and I wrote a post for them to comment on what they had learned so far about their current topic of where volcanoes and earthquakes occur around the world. It was great reading what they had to say. 

I will be sure to share more uses of Edmodo as I find and use them. 

*One of the ladies in my current Master's class shared the idea of using Edmodo in her classroom to have kids do book discussions with their classmates in other hours on the same books that they were all reading. I thought that was a great idea! This makes me want to have my kids working on various projects in one hour and sharing with kids in other classes who were assigned to the same project. 

No comments:

Post a Comment