Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Why I'm Flipping Out

I truly believe that in order for someone to give their full heart to someone or something else, they first need to be inspired. I have been inspired by technology. In recent months I have found more of the full potential that technology offers the education world. Children currently in schools are considered to be "digital natives". Technology was all around their world before they even saw the light of day. Those of us who have been around a few more years (I know I'm still near the bottom of that totem pole), are considered to be "digital immigrants". Many of us were here before a lot of technology ever was. Children, "digital natives" thrive for using technology in all aspects of their lives. Adults, "digital immigrants," seem to be scared of technology. They are afraid of it because they don't know how to use it or perhaps are worried that the technology can do more than they can. Some adults are scared of their jobs being replaced by robots or some other form of technology. Regardless of our view, we have to all come to the realization that any children born from here-on-out will be considered "digital natives." They will only know a world of technology in many forms. We don't even know what will exist by the time this years babies are considered to be adults. Technology is emerging at an incredibly fast speed. Because of this I have realized that I need to try to stay up with the times and keep my middle school students engaged by teaching them in ways they learn best... through the use of technology. They don't want to sit stagnant in desks and read through textbooks and answer questions on worksheets. Think back to your schooling days. Can anyone remember one special worksheet that you did? I don't remember hearing people say, "I remember that Chapter 9 Worksheet 9.1 that we did in Math class. It was the bomb!" I do hear people talking about projects, though as they reflect on educational careers. Students remember the projects and experiments and other adventures that they got to use hands-on learning during the course of the activity. They remember the things that engaged them. They often also don't remember what was told to them, but rather what they had to research and present themselves. For these reasons as well I'm trying to change my classroom from one in which I am at the front of the room doing the lecturing, reading, teaching, etc., to one in which I am walking around the room as the guide and facilitator. I'm "flipping" my way of teaching. I see the students as being on a tour and I'm the bus driver. I take them to where they need to go, but it's up to them to get off the bus and explore the excursions. This blog will be my way of sharing my journey through flipping my classroom. It is a slow process, but so far an intriguing one. I have a new-found love for my job again. I have to admit that I was already getting bored and wore out with the way I was teaching. This is a whole new way of teaching, and it is great! Please continue to check in to see how things are going as I'm working to "flip out inside my classroom".

No comments:

Post a Comment